knoxville Made with My Cool Signs.Net

Friday, January 23, 2009

My Friends Book Club

Entering 2009 means my book club is beginning its third year too. It started out as a joke, literally. I was quite embarrassed by the lack of classic literature I had read in my thirty something years and wanted to change that. I told my friend Ruth who also agreed and so the "Two Friends" book club began. It was really an excuse to have a night once a month to gab and snack, but something pretty great happened...we wanted to talk about these amazing books. Another friend joined and we became the "Three Friends" book club , but then her friend wanted to join and well, you can see where this is headed. So, we are now the "My Friends" book club. I make a new flyer every year, so I wanted to share it with anyone that was wanting to start a book club of their own. Each month someone takes charge and has questions readyto move the discussion along. They also research the author and we get a to know what makes them tick. This part has turned into a really great part of the night, some very interesting authors! Here are some of the books we have tackled:
Gone With the Wind Margaret Mitchell
Count of Monte Cristo Alexander Dumas
Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger
Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy
Mystery of Edwin Drood Charles Dickens
The Good Earth Pearl S. Buck
A Good Man is Hard to Find Flannery O'Connor
Alice in Wonderland Lewis Carroll
The Sound & the Fury William Faulkner
Pride & Prejudice Jane Austin
Tom Sawyer Mark Twain
Jane Eyre Charlotte Brontë
Crime & Punishment Dostoyevsky
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Robert Louis Stevenson
King Lear William Shakespeare
Wuthering Heights Emily Brontë
Ulysses James Joyce
Uncle Tom’s Cabin Harriet Beecher Stowe
Brave New World Aldous Huxley
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

surely you've read some of these before? in school, perhaps? And I thought you read Alice in Wonderland last year?
Good Luck, those books don't sound like much fun. ;oP

jennyandbrett said...

That's a good list. Hope you're having a great day.

Jenny